Yesterday was a big day. We received a nanolot from Tanzania.
Our very first experiment together with our partner and friend Paul from Lunji-Estate. Paul and us had been working on a Pacamara nanolot the last months. There are only some of these trees growing on his farm and we decided to process them as a „natural“ lot. The processing went well on raised beds. The coffee cherries were drying for 32 days. The first 24 hours anaerobic! They had been turned by hand every day to dry perfectly. However, when Paul send the coffee to the mill for being processed for export, they did not handle these beauties with care.
We had a lot of broken beans and Paul and his team had to sort them over and over again, although the mill was paid for sorting! After this being done, there was only one bag left – out of three. Paul trusted the mill for doing a perfect job, but the outcome was very disappointing. Also the labeling of the bag was not done the way we wanted. 11 months of work can be almost destroyed by just one part within the coffee chain. When you pick a bag of coffee out of a shelf in the future, always think about this little story.
Well, finally this bag arrived yesterday. And yes, we still have pretty many broken beans to pick-out before roasting. We sample roasted the coffee now on our IKAWA to get a feeling for this very special coffee. Pacamara is a crossbreed of the varietals Pacas und Maragogype and pretty tricky to roast perfectly. This coffee is not coming directly from our ETK Research Plot MBE4. But still, it‘s our very first experiment getting deeper and deeper into coffee farming. We still have not fine-tuned the profile and now it‘s on us to find the sweet-spot.
But this coffee has a lot of potential.
Paul and us, we learned our lesson. Next year, we will hull the coffee directly on the farm.
As mentioned above, we only have 1 bag. Stay tuned. As soon as we have roasted the coffee on our R-15 and the profile is perfect, you gotta be quick…